Again, not new, but first announcement here; notecard/speech reading script (inSL). Ideal for helping with presentations, SL-weddings, etc. this script allows you to select a notecard from inventory (by means of a paged dialog menu), and it will read it out, with configurable pacing. It can take an unlimited number of notecards to read (selection by dialog menu), and optionally can animate the avatar while a speech is read out. Speech rate and distance are configurable by notecard, as are the details of who exactly can use the script.
Instructions (Copied from the included notecard)
- Open the box (I’m assuming you have if you’re reading this).
- Copy the “Speech reader 1.2″ script out into your inventory, and the sample Configuration if you wish.
- Drop the speech reader script into an object of your choice, along with any notecards for it to read.
- If you wish to animate the avatar while the notecard is read, drop an animation in to prim inventory as well as the notecards (a full perm chicken dance is provided if you need a test anim).
To use, click the object the script is in, which will bring up a dialog menu. From there, select a notecard or press “Prev” or “Next” to move between pages of notecard names. Once a notecard is selected, it will request the notecard from the asset server (this may take a couple of seconds) and start reading it once the asset server responds. The script will attempt to animate the reading avatar with it if can find a suitable animation in inventory, and will not start reading until animation permissions are received.
To pause playback, put a line with just “[PAUSE]” on it in the notecard, as in:
The itsy bitsy spider went up the water spout.
Down came the rain, and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun, and dried up all the rain
And the itsy bitsy spider went up the spout again.
This will cause the script to pause on that line until clicked to indicate it should continue.
Configuration is done by a special notecard called “Configuration”, such as:
All lines should be of the form “setting=value”. This example does the following:
- Set the access permissions to “owner” (can also be “group” or “everyone”), allowing only the object’s owner and anyone in the white list to access it.
- Sets the delay between reading lines of the notecard, to 1 second.
- Add “Gusher Castaignede” to the white list.
- Add “Xugu Madison” to the white list.
- Add “Doctor Evil” to the black list.
- Have all text from the notecard said (as opposed of shouted).
If access permissions were set to group instead (“access=group”), anyone with the same ACTIVE group as the one the object belongs to, would be able to access it (except for people in the blacklist). If access permissions were set to everyone (“access=everyone”), anyone except avatars in the black list would be able to access it.
Read delays are specified in seconds, and are a minimum of 0.1 seconds due to LSL limitations.
White/black list commands add to the list (rather than replace it). There is no way of adding multiple avatars from one line.
Shout can be set to “true” or “false”, and primarily affects the range at which the speech reader can be heard.